AD Integrated DNS

Brad Baker

      5th May 2006
My company currently has 2 Active Directory Integrated DNS servers. Since we
are an ASP/ISP we have approximately 500-600 zones setup currently.

It's getting increasingly difficult to work with the DNS management console,
due to the number of zones. I.E Expanding the list of zones takes 10 seconds
or more, refreshing the list can take 10 seconds etc. It's not too bad now,
but we're only going to continue adding zones so it will only become more
and more painful to work with the DNS management console.

I was thinking of setting up two additional DNS servers, but my question is,
if the two new DNS servers are also active directory integrated will they
contain all the zones from the original two DNS servers? If so, is there a
way to keep the zones in the two new servers separate from the zones on the
two old servers?

Thanks,
Brad

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      5th May 2006
Brad Baker wrote:
> My company currently has 2 Active Directory Integrated DNS servers.
> Since we are an ASP/ISP we have approximately 500-600 zones setup
> currently.
>
> It's getting increasingly difficult to work with the DNS management
> console, due to the number of zones. I.E Expanding the list of zones
> takes 10 seconds or more, refreshing the list can take 10 seconds
> etc. It's not too bad now, but we're only going to continue adding
> zones so it will only become more and more painful to work with the
> DNS management console.

Use dnscmd.exe in a command prompt.

> I was thinking of setting up two additional DNS servers, but my
> question is, if the two new DNS servers are also active directory
> integrated will they contain all the zones from the original two DNS
> servers?

They will if they are in the same domain as the original DC/DNS servers.

> If so, is there a way to keep the zones in the two new
> servers separate from the zones on the two old servers?

Create the new servers in new domains (and if Win2k3 set replication to
Domain Controllers in the AD domain <ADDomainName>)
Also, if you're using Win2k3, you cannot mix replication for zones of the
same name in the DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]