active directory of users on win2k server

tuuf

      22nd Jul 2008
I have 1 server network (win2k server) + 10 workstations (win2k)
I accidentally deleted deleted one of the workstations in ADUC on the server
and can't seem to get it back. When a workstation logs onto the network it
doesnt automatically just show up in ADUC? Or do I actively have to add
workstations
on the server first?

The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the server but
its not showing up again in the ADUC.

S. Pidgorny

      22nd Jul 2008
No it doesn't. You have to re-joint the workstation to the domain.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

* http://sl.mvps.org * http://msmvps.com/blogs/sp *

"tuuf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 1 server network (win2k server) + 10 workstations (win2k)
> I accidentally deleted deleted one of the workstations in ADUC on the
> server
> and can't seem to get it back. When a workstation logs onto the network
> it
> doesnt automatically just show up in ADUC? Or do I actively have to add
> workstations
> on the server first?
>
> The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the server
> but
> its not showing up again in the ADUC.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

      22nd Jul 2008
tuuf wrote:
> I have 1 server network (win2k server) + 10 workstations (win2k)
> I accidentally deleted deleted one of the workstations in ADUC on the server
> and can't seem to get it back. When a workstation logs onto the network it
> doesnt automatically just show up in ADUC? Or do I actively have to add
> workstations
> on the server first?
>
> The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the server but
> its not showing up again in the ADUC.

Just log onto the workstation as admin. Remove it from the domain and
add it to a WorkGroup. Reboot

Now, Add it to the domain.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Meinolf Weber

      22nd Jul 2008
Hello tuuf,

Yes, you have to join it to the domain again, for this bring it to workgroup,
reboot and add it to the domain again with domain administrator.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> I have 1 server network (win2k server) + 10 workstations (win2k)
> I accidentally deleted deleted one of the workstations in ADUC on the
> server
> and can't seem to get it back. When a workstation logs onto the
> network it
> doesnt automatically just show up in ADUC? Or do I actively have to
> add
> workstations
> on the server first?
> The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the
> server but its not showing up again in the ADUC.

michael

      22nd Jul 2008
thank you very much. I also have one more question. If I wanted to change
the name of a workstation (to same name that a previous workstation had but
no longer is present) how do I do it? I've tried in the past to just delete
it from ADUC but the server still recognizes remembers the old workstations
name and will not allow me to use this name for the new workstation. Someone
said to me to delete it from ADUC, dhcp, dns. The only one that lists all
the computers is ADUC so how would I delete necessary info in the other 2?

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" wrote:

> tuuf wrote:
> > I have 1 server network (win2k server) + 10 workstations (win2k)
> > I accidentally deleted deleted one of the workstations in ADUC on the server
> > and can't seem to get it back. When a workstation logs onto the network it
> > doesnt automatically just show up in ADUC? Or do I actively have to add
> > workstations
> > on the server first?
> >
> > The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the server but
> > its not showing up again in the ADUC.

> Just log onto the workstation as admin. Remove it from the domain and
> add it to a WorkGroup. Reboot
>
> Now, Add it to the domain.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

Ken Aldrich

      23rd Jul 2008
I have some advice. Before you remove the computer from the domain (add it
to a workgroup) make sure you know the Local Administrator password. You
will need it as soon as you reboot the machine. Countless times people have
forgotten the local administrator password and remember to take this step
too late.
If you have to, reset it to something you know before you disjoin the
computer from the domain. Then after the reboot, log in as the local
administrator and then join it back into the domain. When this happens, it
will automatically create the Active Directory account using the name of the
machine. If you want to rename the machine, I recommend you do that before
you join it to the domain.

--
Ken Aldrich
DSRAZOR for Windows