Active Desktop HTML File missing

=?Utf-8?B?UnViYWxraQ==?=

      11th Sep 2004
I have a problem with all links on my Laptop, which uses win xp. None of the
links on the desktop, or in the shortcuts in the start files. I have to
manually go to each folder and use the links there to open anything. All
links on desktop and in shortcuts end with the .lnk after the name of
program. IExplorer, trash can, my computer are not effected with this
problem. I can not change any desktop settings because it says the active
desktop html file is missing.

I have tried virus scanning from 3 different companies, none found. I've
tried using a back up from months ago, and it won't let me revert back.

Any idea's would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

Kelly

      11th Sep 2004
HTM/HTML Fix for Windows XP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc...iation_fix.zip

EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows« XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Rubalki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a problem with all links on my Laptop, which uses win xp. None of
>the
> links on the desktop, or in the shortcuts in the start files. I have to
> manually go to each folder and use the links there to open anything. All
> links on desktop and in shortcuts end with the .lnk after the name of
> program. IExplorer, trash can, my computer are not effected with this
> problem. I can not change any desktop settings because it says the active
> desktop html file is missing.
>
> I have tried virus scanning from 3 different companies, none found. I've
> tried using a back up from months ago, and it won't let me revert back.
>
> Any idea's would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Menno Hershberger

      11th Sep 2004
Glad to see you're still around... I posted something about a couple of bad
links on your site a couple of weeks ago... I think the subject line was
"Kelly". I think you were taking a couple of days off so you probably
missed it.
I changed my sig line so you'd have something rlde to pick apart... :-)

"Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Ooycu#(E-Mail Removed):

> HTM/HTML Fix for Windows XP
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc...iation_fix.zip
>
> EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12
>
> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click
> it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in
> Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
--- I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk somewhere. ---

=?Utf-8?B?UnViYWxraQ==?=

      11th Sep 2004
Ok, I was searching through the registry, and came to this area

"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\printto\command
@=hex(2):72,00,75,00,6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,\
00,20,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,\
25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,\
00,68,00,74,00,6d,00,6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,\
6e,00,74,00,48,00,54,00,4d,00,4c,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,22,\
00,25,00,32,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,33,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,34,00,\
22,00,00,00 "

In my registry, it has this listed

"rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\mshtml.dll,PrintHTML "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

should this be changed to what you posted, and exactly what part do I put
into the string.

Thanks again for the help, everything else was ok after looking at it.

Scott

"Rubalki" wrote:

> I have a problem with all links on my Laptop, which uses win xp. None of the
> links on the desktop, or in the shortcuts in the start files. I have to
> manually go to each folder and use the links there to open anything. All
> links on desktop and in shortcuts end with the .lnk after the name of
> program. IExplorer, trash can, my computer are not effected with this
> problem. I can not change any desktop settings because it says the active
> desktop html file is missing.
>
> I have tried virus scanning from 3 different companies, none found. I've
> tried using a back up from months ago, and it won't let me revert back.
>
> Any idea's would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

=?Utf-8?B?UnViYWxraQ==?=

      11th Sep 2004
Actually, I must have pasted it to registry before I opened it. After
restarting the computer, all the links were fixxed!

Thank you for the information and help regarding this, it's much appreciated.

Scott

Kelly

      13th Sep 2004
Moi, taking days off? Wouldn't my children and husband love that. ) I
run a Kelly's Komputer Klinic here as well, via our home (spelling
deliberate).

But as of late, have been very busy with the football and winter league
baseball schedule of my 14 year old. That said, I usually catch the subject
lines of Kelly and always answer, so who knows........ )

However, post the new sig line again, I am game! <w>

--

"Menno Hershberger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Glad to see you're still around... I posted something about a couple of
> bad
> links on your site a couple of weeks ago... I think the subject line was
> "Kelly". I think you were taking a couple of days off so you probably
> missed it.
> I changed my sig line so you'd have something rlde to pick apart... :-)
>
> "Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Ooycu#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> HTM/HTML Fix for Windows XP
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc...iation_fix.zip
>>
>> EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12
>>
>> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click
>> it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in
>> Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
>>

> --
> --- I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk somewhere. ---

=?Utf-8?B?Sm8gSGF0?=

      31st Oct 2004
I had similar problems; program icons replaced by "generic" icons.
Dobbel-click on these lead to error message like: lnk-file (shortcut) cannot
be opened; choose file. Then browsing to the target exe-file, allowed in most
cases the exe-file to be opened. However when the same exe-files was dobbel
clicked directly (and not via shortcut) nothing happend.

Kellys "EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12" solved the problem
completely!

But I couldn't do the repair quite as described: "Save the REG File to your
hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can
be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit."
Instead I had to right-clik the saved file (the .REG File) and the choose
program by browsing to REGEDIT.EXE in the C:\i386 catalog and the click open.

Jo

"Kelly" wrote:

> HTM/HTML Fix for Windows XP
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc...iation_fix.zip
>
> EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12
>
> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Rubalki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a problem with all links on my Laptop, which uses win xp. None of
> >the
> > links on the desktop, or in the shortcuts in the start files. I have to
> > manually go to each folder and use the links there to open anything. All
> > links on desktop and in shortcuts end with the .lnk after the name of
> > program. IExplorer, trash can, my computer are not effected with this
> > problem. I can not change any desktop settings because it says the active
> > desktop html file is missing.
> >
> > I have tried virus scanning from 3 different companies, none found. I've
> > tried using a back up from months ago, and it won't let me revert back.
> >
> > Any idea's would be great.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott

jjamesking9

      1st Jun 2010
i have a problem my i have deleted a active html file and when i change
wallpaper it appears active html file missing and bars like on my computer
appears on desktop