ACS - what's that in XP?

=?Utf-8?B?YW5h?=

      29th Aug 2007
After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with ACS
and need to close .... what is this?

Og

      29th Aug 2007
"ana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
> ACS
> and need to close .... what is this?

Do you have computer games installed?
Wikipedia definition of ACS:
Action Code Script, a scripting language used in video games such as HeXen
and modern Doom ports.
Steve

=?Utf-8?B?YW5h?=

      29th Aug 2007
no, don't have any games installed

"Og" wrote:

> "ana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
> > ACS
> > and need to close .... what is this?

> Do you have computer games installed?
> Wikipedia definition of ACS:
> Action Code Script, a scripting language used in video games such as HeXen
> and modern Doom ports.
> Steve

Maincat

      29th Aug 2007

"ana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
> ACS
> and need to close .... what is this?

Got Altec Lansing speakers?
Read this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261357

Let us know if that has sorted the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?YW5h?=

      29th Aug 2007
no, don't have altec lansing speakers - and I have gone through this support
site (kb/261357). could not find any of the speakers mentioned in my device
manager.

"Maincat" wrote:

> "ana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
> > ACS
> > and need to close .... what is this?

> Got Altec Lansing speakers?
> Read this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261357
>
> Let us know if that has sorted the problem.

Nepatsfan

      29th Aug 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
ana <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered
> problems with ACS
> and need to close .... what is this?

You may want to look in Event Viewer for more clues as to the
nature of this problem.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and launch Event
Viewer.
In the left hand pane, click on Application to see if there was
an event recorded for this problem.
Do the same for System.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

=?Utf-8?B?YW5h?=

      31st Aug 2007
I checked and yes, there was an event recorded as an error in both
application and system. The error message said : faulting application acs.exe
version 6.0.290.faulting module athcfg20U.dll version 6.0.2.90 fault address
0x00011259

what should I do?

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> ana <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered
> > problems with ACS
> > and need to close .... what is this?

> You may want to look in Event Viewer for more clues as to the
> nature of this problem.
>
> Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and launch Event
> Viewer.
> In the left hand pane, click on Application to see if there was
> an event recorded for this problem.
> Do the same for System.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIwMjk=?=

      31st Aug 2007
If this machine is a laptop, or has any wireless cards installed - Toshiba
likes this one - ACS.EXE is related to the Atheros Wireless Devices, if they
are installed. I would be curious, what kind of pc is it and how do you
connect to a network (even the internet)?
--
Chris K.
IT/Network Tech

"ana" wrote:

> After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with ACS
> and need to close .... what is this?

Nepatsfan

      1st Sep 2007
As Christopher029 has pointed out, it looks like your problem
is associated with a wireless ethernet card. You might want to
check with the manufacturer to see if this is a known problem.
There may be a solution available from them.

You might also check on the computer manufacturer's web site
for the latest drivers for your wireless card. Check to see if
they have a download for the Atheros Client Utility. Installing
the latest version may fix your problem.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
ana <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I checked and yes, there was an event recorded as an error in
> both
> application and system. The error message said : faulting
> application acs.exe
> version 6.0.290.faulting module athcfg20U.dll version
> 6.0.2.90 fault address
> 0x00011259
>
> what should I do?
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> ana <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered
>>> problems with ACS
>>> and need to close .... what is this?

>> You may want to look in Event Viewer for more clues as to
>> the
>> nature of this problem.
>>
>> Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and launch Event
>> Viewer.
>> In the left hand pane, click on Application to see if there
>> was
>> an event recorded for this problem.
>> Do the same for System.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan

=?Utf-8?B?YW5h?=

      2nd Sep 2007
hello Chris K and Nepatsfan

sorry for the late reply. yes, I am indeed using Lenovo ThinkPad T60. and I
connect wireless to my DSL. and now that you've pointed it out, is this also
related to connectivity problem? because in addition to this ACS issue, the
laptop sometimes fail to detect wireless connection upon starting. I have to
re-start a couple of times until it finally detects it.