Kathy

      31st Mar 2004
Hi,

We are running Exchange 2000 and everytime I disable an
account it is showing up in my backup software as an
error. We are using Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec.

The error is telling me "The job failed with the following
error: The directory is invalid."

When I look into it the directory is it always the one I
just disabled that day. Here is the message:
Directory not found. Can not backup directory Last, First
[username] and its subdirectories.

Does anymore know what I can do in the Active Directory to
stop this from happening and how to I delete a mail box
safely.

Thank you, Kathy

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      31st Mar 2004
Hi - this isn't the best group to post Exchange questions - post to
microsoft.public.exchange.admin for more help. That said, brick level
(mailbox level) backups are not recommended practice - you ought to be doing
a full online backup of the mail stores....if you enable deleted item
retention on public/private stores for a reasonable length of time, and hide
mailboxes for ex-employees for a bit rather than deleting them right away,
you probably won't need a brick level restore. They're useless for disaster
recovery, take up tons of tape/time, and as I said, you probably don't need
them.

Kathy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Exchange 2000 and everytime I disable an
> account it is showing up in my backup software as an
> error. We are using Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec.
>
> The error is telling me "The job failed with the following
> error: The directory is invalid."
>
> When I look into it the directory is it always the one I
> just disabled that day. Here is the message:
> Directory not found. Can not backup directory Last, First
> [username] and its subdirectories.
>
> Does anymore know what I can do in the Active Directory to
> stop this from happening and how to I delete a mail box
> safely.
>
> Thank you, Kathy

      1st Apr 2004
Thank you so much, I thought I was doing a full backup, I
will check this out and fix it.
Have a great day!