Accounting software suggestions please

Tom C

      6th Aug 2006
I wonder if anyone has experience of freeware accounting programmes for a
sole-trader business (heating engineer) - the simpler the better. I have
had a look at a couple, and they seem rather complex (Banana cashbook,
TurboCash).

Many thanks,

Tom C

Daphne Eze

      7th Aug 2006

Tom C wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has experience of freeware accounting programmes for a
> sole-trader business (heating engineer) - the simpler the better. I have
> had a look at a couple, and they seem rather complex (Banana cashbook,
> TurboCash).
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tom C

Try this one.
http://www.bizacct.com/download.html

cheers
Daphne

Tom C

      7th Aug 2006
Daphne Eze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Tom C wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone has experience of freeware accounting programmes
>> for a sole-trader business (heating engineer) - the simpler the
>> better. I have had a look at a couple, and they seem rather complex
>> (Banana cashbook, TurboCash).
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Tom C

> Try this one.
> http://www.bizacct.com/download.html
>
> cheers
> Daphne

Thanks, Daphne. I'll take a look.

Tom C

Al Klein

      8th Aug 2006
On 06 Aug 2006 18:49:22 GMT, Tom C <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I wonder if anyone has experience of freeware accounting programmes for a
>sole-trader business (heating engineer) - the simpler the better. I have
>had a look at a couple, and they seem rather complex (Banana cashbook,
>TurboCash).

There are two things you should be aware of:

1) The bookkeeping requirements of different countries are different.
You'll need a program that's written for your country,

2) If you're going to depend on the program for anything more than a
personal record, you'll need a program that does actual bookkeeping -
that pretty much means "written by an accountant". (Coded by a
programmer, probably, but trust me, programmers aren't accountants -
we need accountants to make sure that what we write really works.)

The IRS (or your country's equivalent) won't accept a printout from
"Joe's Accounting Program" as anything more than scrap paper. But the
output of a double-entry ledger will look very familiar to them,
especially if the program uses the standard account numbers.
--
http://www.webdingers.com/filelist.html