Accessing XP shares

Kevin

      2nd Jun 2004
Why can`t my win2k pc see the shares on the XP pc
(folders, printer, cdrom)???

Ramsin G

      2nd Jun 2004

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:172be01c4489d$7cfa99c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why can`t my win2k pc see the shares on the XP pc
> (folders, printer, cdrom)???

have you got any firewalls on the machines?? try and disable them, see what
happens.

Are the shares on an NTFS partition?? could have security disallowing
certain groups/users to access them. Ofcourse this wouldnt count for the
CD-ROM.

not enough information. can you not see them at all?? Or can you see them
but can not access them??

Are the two computers in the same workgroup/domain?? (they need to be)

Have you got identical username/password on both machines (you need this
too)

Let us know how you went.

--
Ramsin G
(E-Mail Removed)

Email Scanned with Norton Anti-Virus!!!

      2nd Jun 2004
I have an XP and Win2k LAN, My XP pc can access all Win2k
folders and files but my Win2k pc can only see the Xp
computer name. I have setup the printer for sharing and
numerous folders. Both pc`s are in the same workgroup. I
can ping and ICS works with the Xp pc as host
There are only these two pc`s
If I open up "computers near me" I can see the icon of the
computer (XP pc named Compaq) but if I click, I get an
error box titled Mshome (this is the workgroup)
Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested
logon type at this computer

I have disabled firewall on both pc`s without any success.

You wrote">Are the shares on an NTFS partition?? could
have security disallowing certain groups/users to access
them". How do I check this??

You wrote "Have you got identical username/password on
both machines (you need this too) Not sure I fully
understand, does my XP pc have to have a user created
identical to the Win2k pc?? Would the XP pc have to be
logged on as that user??

Thanks

All help appreciated