Access denied ! Access Denied ! Access Denied!

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNncnVudGxlZA==?=

      3rd Jul 2006

This is getting real annoying ! I have tuned on the administrator account,
gave myself administrator privaleges and even tryed some of the suggestions
to right click on windows explorer and run as administrator. and still
gettinng access denied. It seems mostly on the shortcut folders.... Still
wondering why those shotcut folders are there??. It's like dealing with a
really bad norton product!! Need to click on a prompt everywhere you go !!

Jimmy Brush

      3rd Jul 2006
Hello,

If you are talking about these locations:

\Users\<account>\Documents\Video, Pictures, Music
and \Documents and Settings

These aren't used by the system and the system doesn't allow access to
them... administrator or not... I think they are just there as some sort of
application compatability hack ... there is no reason to try to access them.

However, I do think that if Microsoft is going to make them visible, they
should tell you more information about them than access denied (such as,
"These folders are here for application compatability purposes and cannot be
accessed" or somesuch) ... or, perhaps make them permanently hidden ...
anything besides "Access Denied", as that is frustrating!

- JB

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNncnVudGxlZA==?=

      3rd Jul 2006
Yeah, I turned off hide system files in folder options, I went and turned it
back on so I don't see those folders any more. Now if I can only figure out
how to tun off the "user account controls" pop-up. every time i change a
setting. I'm account administrator......don't need some dumb pop-up telling
me that I'm changing a system setting.. :/

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If you are talking about these locations:
>
> \Users\<account>\Documents\Video, Pictures, Music
> and \Documents and Settings
>
> These aren't used by the system and the system doesn't allow access to
> them... administrator or not... I think they are just there as some sort of
> application compatability hack ... there is no reason to try to access them.
>
> However, I do think that if Microsoft is going to make them visible, they
> should tell you more information about them than access denied (such as,
> "These folders are here for application compatability purposes and cannot be
> accessed" or somesuch) ... or, perhaps make them permanently hidden ...
> anything besides "Access Denied", as that is frustrating!
>
> - JB

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNncnVudGxlZA==?=

      3rd Jul 2006

"chrisgruntled" wrote:

> Yeah, I turned off hide system files in folder options, I went and turned it
> back on so I don't see those folders any more. Now if I can only figure out
> how to tun off the "user account controls" pop-up. every time i change a
> setting. I'm account administrator......don't need some dumb pop-up telling
> me that I'm changing a system setting.. :/
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > If you are talking about these locations:
> >
> > \Users\<account>\Documents\Video, Pictures, Music
> > and \Documents and Settings
> >
> > These aren't used by the system and the system doesn't allow access to
> > them... administrator or not... I think they are just there as some sort of
> > application compatability hack ... there is no reason to try to access them.
> >
> > However, I do think that if Microsoft is going to make them visible, they
> > should tell you more information about them than access denied (such as,
> > "These folders are here for application compatability purposes and cannot be
> > accessed" or somesuch) ... or, perhaps make them permanently hidden ...
> > anything besides "Access Denied", as that is frustrating!
> >
> > - JB

HDRDTD

      3rd Jul 2006
As far as turning off the 'user accounts controls' pop-up, it has been
discussed many times here in these newsgroups.

Control Panel
User Accounts
Change Security Settings
Clear the check mark in the box.

"chrisgruntled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, I turned off hide system files in folder options, I went and turned
> it
> back on so I don't see those folders any more. Now if I can only figure
> out
> how to tun off the "user account controls" pop-up. every time i change a
> setting. I'm account administrator......don't need some dumb pop-up
> telling
> me that I'm changing a system setting.. :/
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you are talking about these locations:
>>
>> \Users\<account>\Documents\Video, Pictures, Music
>> and \Documents and Settings
>>
>> These aren't used by the system and the system doesn't allow access to
>> them... administrator or not... I think they are just there as some sort
>> of
>> application compatability hack ... there is no reason to try to access
>> them.
>>
>> However, I do think that if Microsoft is going to make them visible, they
>> should tell you more information about them than access denied (such as,
>> "These folders are here for application compatability purposes and cannot
>> be
>> accessed" or somesuch) ... or, perhaps make them permanently hidden ...
>> anything besides "Access Denied", as that is frustrating!
>>
>> - JB

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNncnVudGxlZA==?=

      3rd Jul 2006
Yeah, I figured it out. I was able to turn off the prompts via secpol.msc
also....

"HDRDTD" wrote:

> As far as turning off the 'user accounts controls' pop-up, it has been
> discussed many times here in these newsgroups.
>
> Control Panel
> User Accounts
> Change Security Settings
> Clear the check mark in the box.
>

> "chrisgruntled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeah, I turned off hide system files in folder options, I went and turned
> > it
> > back on so I don't see those folders any more. Now if I can only figure
> > out
> > how to tun off the "user account controls" pop-up. every time i change a
> > setting. I'm account administrator......don't need some dumb pop-up
> > telling
> > me that I'm changing a system setting.. :/
> >
> > "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> If you are talking about these locations:
> >>
> >> \Users\<account>\Documents\Video, Pictures, Music
> >> and \Documents and Settings
> >>
> >> These aren't used by the system and the system doesn't allow access to
> >> them... administrator or not... I think they are just there as some sort
> >> of
> >> application compatability hack ... there is no reason to try to access
> >> them.
> >>
> >> However, I do think that if Microsoft is going to make them visible, they
> >> should tell you more information about them than access denied (such as,
> >> "These folders are here for application compatability purposes and cannot
> >> be
> >> accessed" or somesuch) ... or, perhaps make them permanently hidden ...
> >> anything besides "Access Denied", as that is frustrating!
> >>
> >> - JB

=?Utf-8?B?TWFzdGVyIENoaWVm?=

      7th Jul 2006

"chrisgruntled" wrote:

> This is getting real annoying ! I have tuned on the administrator account,
> gave myself administrator privaleges and even tryed some of the suggestions
> to right click on windows explorer and run as administrator. and still
> gettinng access denied. It seems mostly on the shortcut folders.... Still
> wondering why those shotcut folders are there??. It's like dealing with a
> really bad norton product!! Need to click on a prompt everywhere you go !!

=?Utf-8?B?TWFzdGVyIENoaWVm?=

      7th Jul 2006
I had the same problem until I went to the help file and properties,where I
was able to make additions to "rights" as administrator,BUT I discovered that
it requires a "restart" for the additions and changes to become active.

"chrisgruntled" wrote:

> This is getting real annoying ! I have tuned on the administrator account,
> gave myself administrator privaleges and even tryed some of the suggestions
> to right click on windows explorer and run as administrator. and still
> gettinng access denied. It seems mostly on the shortcut folders.... Still
> wondering why those shotcut folders are there??. It's like dealing with a
> really bad norton product!! Need to click on a prompt everywhere you go !!

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyY2xldmVzcXVl?=

      10th Jul 2006

"chrisgruntled" wrote:

> This is getting real annoying ! I have tuned on the administrator account,
> gave myself administrator privaleges and even tryed some of the suggestions
> to right click on windows explorer and run as administrator. and still
> gettinng access denied. It seems mostly on the shortcut folders.... Still
> wondering why those shotcut folders are there??. It's like dealing with a
> really bad norton product!! Need to click on a prompt everywhere you go !!

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyY2xldmVzcXVl?=

      10th Jul 2006
If you want to access the folders, in the security tab, remove the entry that
denies access to the Everyone group.

You need to do this for every folder though.