PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

How to access all email on 2 computers - home desktop and laptop

 
 
aussieinquirer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Mar 2010
I use a laptop when travelling to access my email. However when i recently
set this up , email received on the laptop while 'away from home' would not
be received on the 'home' computer so could not be filed or further
transacted when i returned home. I adjusted outlook 97 email settings to
"Leave a copy of messages on the server" for the laptop but not on the home
desktop. This ensured all incoming messages again come to the home desktop
but now none come to laptop.

How do I configure outlook on each computer to allow all email to come to
both computers?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roady [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Mar 2010
You must configure that option on both computers. Set one to remove the
messages after x days from the server to prevent the server mailbox from
becoming full.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

http://www.msoutlook.info/
Real World Questions, Real World Answers

-----

"aussieinquirer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a laptop when travelling to access my email. However when i recently
> set this up , email received on the laptop while 'away from home' would
> not
> be received on the 'home' computer so could not be filed or further
> transacted when i returned home. I adjusted outlook 97 email settings to
> "Leave a copy of messages on the server" for the laptop but not on the
> home
> desktop. This ensured all incoming messages again come to the home desktop
> but now none come to laptop.
>
> How do I configure outlook on each computer to allow all email to come to
> both computers?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Mar 2010
On 3/1/2010 11:21 PM, aussieinquirer wrote:
> I use a laptop when travelling to access my email. However when i recently
> set this up , email received on the laptop while 'away from home' would not
> be received on the 'home' computer so could not be filed or further
> transacted when i returned home. I adjusted outlook 97 email settings to
> "Leave a copy of messages on the server" for the laptop but not on the home
> desktop. This ensured all incoming messages again come to the home desktop
> but now none come to laptop.
>
> How do I configure outlook on each computer to allow all email to come to
> both computers?

I would recommend that you switch to using either IMAP or Microsoft
Exchange.

Otherwise, you must set Outlook (and any other mail software) to leave
mail on server on all devices that have access to your mail server.

If you wish to try using Microsoft Exchange, it's free for 30 days from
Microsoft Online Services at http://bit.ly/free-exchange-trial
--
Leonid S. Knyshov
Crashproof Solutions
510-282-1008
Twitter: @wiseleo
http://crashproofsolutions.com
Microsoft Small Business Specialist
Please vote "helpful" if I helped you
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roady [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Mar 2010
Exchange is not an option since the OP mentioned he/she is using Outlook 97
which is not supported by the hosted Exchange solutions.
(I hope it was a typo from the OP though and that he/she actually meant
Outlook 2007)

If the OP is indeed using Outlook 2007, then using a Live Hotmail account
would work as well. This can be combined with the already exisiting POP3
account. For details see;
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/410

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

http://www.msoutlook.info/
Real World Questions, Real World Answers

-----

"Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ed#(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 3/1/2010 11:21 PM, aussieinquirer wrote:
>> I use a laptop when travelling to access my email. However when i
>> recently
>> set this up , email received on the laptop while 'away from home' would
>> not
>> be received on the 'home' computer so could not be filed or further
>> transacted when i returned home. I adjusted outlook 97 email settings to
>> "Leave a copy of messages on the server" for the laptop but not on the
>> home
>> desktop. This ensured all incoming messages again come to the home
>> desktop
>> but now none come to laptop.
>>
>> How do I configure outlook on each computer to allow all email to come to
>> both computers?

> I would recommend that you switch to using either IMAP or Microsoft
> Exchange.
>
> Otherwise, you must set Outlook (and any other mail software) to leave
> mail on server on all devices that have access to your mail server.
>
> If you wish to try using Microsoft Exchange, it's free for 30 days from
> Microsoft Online Services at http://bit.ly/free-exchange-trial
> --
> Leonid S. Knyshov
> Crashproof Solutions
> 510-282-1008
> Twitter: @wiseleo
> http://crashproofsolutions.com
> Microsoft Small Business Specialist
> Please vote "helpful" if I helped you


 
Reply With Quote
 
aussieinquirer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Mar 2010
Robert

Thanks for that. I configured account settings on both computers to leave a
copy of messages on the server. But now mail again only comes to the computer
that is online at the time i log on to the server i.e. the email i received
on my laptop while interstate yesterday (and didn't delete) is not on my home
computer today. And the email i received on my home computer today will not
download copies to my laptop when i turn it back on. Any chance I can get
emails received on the laptop to also download to my home computer when i log
on? (as i don't deal while i'm away with all emails received on my laptop
while away).

Would prefer to solve without resorting to Live Mail if possible.

thanks
Rod

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> You must configure that option on both computers. Set one to remove the
> messages after x days from the server to prevent the server mailbox from
> becoming full.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>
> -----
>
> "aussieinquirer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I use a laptop when travelling to access my email. However when i recently
> > set this up , email received on the laptop while 'away from home' would
> > not
> > be received on the 'home' computer so could not be filed or further
> > transacted when i returned home. I adjusted outlook 97 email settings to
> > "Leave a copy of messages on the server" for the laptop but not on the
> > home
> > desktop. This ensured all incoming messages again come to the home desktop
> > but now none come to laptop.
> >
> > How do I configure outlook on each computer to allow all email to come to
> > both computers?

>
> .
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
aussieinquirer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Mar 2010
Ignore this last post. Your original advice was correct. i since discovered
that the laptop did not have the "leave a copy" setting activated.
thanks.

"aussieinquirer" wrote:

> Robert
>
> Thanks for that. I configured account settings on both computers to leave a
> copy of messages on the server. But now mail again only comes to the computer
> that is online at the time i log on to the server i.e. the email i received
> on my laptop while interstate yesterday (and didn't delete) is not on my home
> computer today. And the email i received on my home computer today will not
> download copies to my laptop when i turn it back on. Any chance I can get
> emails received on the laptop to also download to my home computer when i log
> on? (as i don't deal while i'm away with all emails received on my laptop
> while away).
>
> Would prefer to solve without resorting to Live Mail if possible.
>
> thanks
> Rod
>
> "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You must configure that option on both computers. Set one to remove the
> > messages after x days from the server to prevent the server mailbox from
> > becoming full.
> >
> > --
> > Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> > Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> > Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
> >
> > http://www.msoutlook.info/
> > Real World Questions, Real World Answers
> >
> > -----
> >
> > "aussieinquirer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I use a laptop when travelling to access my email. However when i recently
> > > set this up , email received on the laptop while 'away from home' would
> > > not
> > > be received on the 'home' computer so could not be filed or further
> > > transacted when i returned home. I adjusted outlook 97 email settings to
> > > "Leave a copy of messages on the server" for the laptop but not on the
> > > home
> > > desktop. This ensured all incoming messages again come to the home desktop
> > > but now none come to laptop.
> > >
> > > How do I configure outlook on each computer to allow all email to come to
> > > both computers?

> >
> > .
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Mar 2010
"aussieinquirer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for that. I configured account settings on both computers to leave a
> copy of messages on the server. But now mail again only comes to the
> computer
> that is online at the time i log on to the server i.e. the email i received
> on my laptop while interstate yesterday (and didn't delete) is not on my
> home
> computer today. And the email i received on my home computer today will not
> download copies to my laptop when i turn it back on. Any chance I can get
> emails received on the laptop to also download to my home computer when i
> log
> on? (as i don't deal while i'm away with all emails received on my laptop
> while away).


What mail service are you using? Some mail services (gmail, for example),
don't implement POP in a typical fashion. The servers keep track of what
messages have been sent to ANY client and won't download them again even if
requested by a new client. Log into your mail server using a web interface.
Are the messages actually there?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Desktop can't see laptop, Laptop can see Desktop (home premium network issues) Malke Windows Vista Networking 0 6th Jul 2009 08:56 PM
Microsoft Speech Recognition repeating error "all all all all all all...." kenrosen@gmail.com Windows XP General 1 17th Dec 2005 03:22 AM
Microsoft Speech Recognition repeating error "all all all all all all...." kenrosen@gmail.com Windows XP Help 0 16th Dec 2005 07:39 PM
2 computers - Laptop can see home/Home won't let me log onto lapto =?Utf-8?B?RkVELVVQ?= Windows XP Networking 1 30th Jun 2005 04:09 PM
Network - W2k desktop can't access WXP laptop, but WXP laptop can access W2k desktop?? John B. Windows XP Networking 1 12th Oct 2003 05:44 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 AM.