Access 2010 error 2950

t0mbst0neaz@yahoo.com

      7th Sep 2011
I opened an Access 2000 database using Access 2010, and attempted to
run a macro that runs a set of queries. One of those queries generates
an error, "Undefined function 'Trim' in expression."

An internet search of the problem suggested the file needs to be in a
trusted location. I made the folder on my C: drive a trusted location
but this did not help; I created a new folder on the drive and copied
the .mdb file to the new location, which did not help either.

As a test I removed the Trim function from that query, but the macro
failed later with the same error message referencing a Mid function.

Does anyone have a fix? Thanks~~

John W. Vinson

      7th Sep 2011
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:22:39 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I opened an Access 2000 database using Access 2010, and attempted to
>run a macro that runs a set of queries. One of those queries generates
>an error, "Undefined function 'Trim' in expression."
>
>An internet search of the problem suggested the file needs to be in a
>trusted location. I made the folder on my C: drive a trusted location
>but this did not help; I created a new folder on the drive and copied
>the .mdb file to the new location, which did not help either.
>
>As a test I removed the Trim function from that query, but the macro
>failed later with the same error message referencing a Mid function.
>
>Does anyone have a fix? Thanks~~

This appears to be the very common References bug. Open any
module in design view, or open the VBA editor by typing
Ctrl-G. Select Tools... References from the menu. One of the
..DLL files required by Access will probably be marked
MISSING. Uncheck it, recheck it, close and open Access.

If none are MISSING, check any reference; close and open
Access; then uncheck it again. This will force Access to
relink the libraries.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
Microsoft's replacements for these newsgroups:

t0mbst0neaz@yahoo.com

      7th Sep 2011

Hi, John-
> This appears to be the very common References bug. *Open any
> module in design view, or open the VBA editor by typing
> Ctrl-G. Select Tools... References from the menu. One of the
> .DLL files required by Access will probably be marked
> MISSING. Uncheck it, recheck it, close and open Access.

I'm surprised I didn't see anything about a References bug during my
searches! But your fix did work: in my case the missing file was >
Utility.mda <. I unchecked it, rechecked it, closed Access then
reopened it and ran the macro; the problem persisted. So the next time
around I unchecked it, then closed and reopened, and the macro ran as
expected.

Thanks for your help!
Dave O

New Member
Location: Sacramento, CA

      27th Aug 2012
Thank you, John! Your suggestions worked