Access 2010 - and Tabs

Commish

      10th Aug 2011
I like having my tables, queries, forms, etc opening in the tabbed
view.

For my job, I am frequently using many databases, and having to set
the default to show tabs is a pain.

Is there a way to jailbreak Access to let me set tabs as the default?

Douglas J. Steele

      11th Aug 2011
I'm confused. The default IS tabs: most people are looking for how to make
the default the older Overlapping Windows approach.

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele
Co-author: "Access Solutions", published by Wiley
(no e-mails, please!)

"Commish" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I like having my tables, queries, forms, etc opening in the tabbed
view.

For my job, I am frequently using many databases, and having to set
the default to show tabs is a pain.

Is there a way to jailbreak Access to let me set tabs as the default?

Commish

      29th Aug 2011
On Aug 10, 7:23*pm, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused. The default IS tabs: most people are looking for how to make
> the default the older Overlapping Windows approach.
>
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele
> Co-author: "Access Solutions", published by Wiley
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "Commish" *wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I like having my tables, queries, forms, etc opening in the tabbed
> view.
>
> For my job, I am frequently using many databases, and having to set
> the default to show tabs is a pain.
>
> Is there a way to jailbreak Access to let me set tabs as the default?

Well, that's not the case in my situation. I have Access on 3
computers - all of them have the radio button for "Overlapping
Windows" selected when I open any file. I need to select the "Tabbed
Documents" radio button and then close and re-open the file to use
tabs. I am accessing these options from the "Access Options" and the
"Current Database" windows.

Is it possible that because I am frequently working with older
documents that they bering their own set of defaults?

Douglas J Steele

      30th Aug 2011
Are these MDB files that you're opening in Access 2010?

"Commish" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Aug 10, 7:23 pm, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused. The default IS tabs: most people are looking for how to make
> the default the older Overlapping Windows approach.
>
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele
> Co-author: "Access Solutions", published by Wiley
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "Commish" wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I like having my tables, queries, forms, etc opening in the tabbed
> view.
>
> For my job, I am frequently using many databases, and having to set
> the default to show tabs is a pain.
>
> Is there a way to jailbreak Access to let me set tabs as the default?

Well, that's not the case in my situation. I have Access on 3
computers - all of them have the radio button for "Overlapping
Windows" selected when I open any file. I need to select the "Tabbed
Documents" radio button and then close and re-open the file to use
tabs. I am accessing these options from the "Access Options" and the
"Current Database" windows.

Is it possible that because I am frequently working with older
documents that they bering their own set of defaults?

Commish

      30th Aug 2011
On Aug 29, 7:43*pm, "Douglas J Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> Are these MDB files that you're opening in Access 2010?
>
> "Commish" *wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> On Aug 10, 7:23 pm, "Douglas J. Steele"
>

> <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm confused. The default IS tabs: most people are looking for how to make
> > the default the older Overlapping Windows approach.

> > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele
> > Co-author: "Access Solutions", published by Wiley
> > (no e-mails, please!)

> > "Commish" *wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I like having my tables, queries, forms, etc opening in the tabbed
> > view.

> > For my job, I am frequently using many databases, and having to set
> > the default to show tabs is a pain.

> > Is there a way to jailbreak Access to let me set tabs as the default?

> Well, that's not the case in my situation. I have Access on 3
> computers - all of them have the radio button for "Overlapping
> Windows" selected when I open any file. I need to select the "Tabbed
> Documents" radio button and then close and re-open the file to use
> tabs. I am accessing these options from the *"Access Options" and the
> "Current Database" windows.
>
> Is it possible that because I am frequently working with older
> documents that they bering their own set of defaults?

As a matter of fact, they are MDB files from the previous versions of
Access.

Douglas J Steele

      3rd Sep 2011
"Default" only applies when you're creating the databases. Once they've been
created, the interface is set. Since you created them in a previous version
of Access that did not have the Tab view option, you're getting the non-tab
interface. Afraid there's no option but to set it back yourself.

"Commish" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Aug 29, 7:43 pm, "Douglas J Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> Are these MDB files that you're opening in Access 2010?
>
> "Commish" wrote in message
> > "Commish" wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I like having my tables, queries, forms, etc opening in the tabbed
> > view.

> > For my job, I am frequently using many databases, and having to set
> > the default to show tabs is a pain.

> > Is there a way to jailbreak Access to let me set tabs as the default?

As a matter of fact, they are MDB files from the previous versions of
Access.

New Member
cyberman1's Avatar
Location: Effingham, NH in the USA

      21st Jun 2012
In Access 2010 - the command is:

CurrentDb.Properties("ShowDocumentTabs").Value = False to hide (true to show).

It doesn't take effect until one closes and then reopens the file.