A8V - Why is Venice minimum voltage 1.1V ?

biohazard@gardener.com

      19th Jun 2005
Although the A8V can undervolt Winchester cores down to 0.8V, it seems
to be resistant to doing this with Venice cores. Does anyone know why?

I know I'm destined to get helpful suggestion from people without an
A8V-Venice combination, but it would be nice to hear from someone who
either (1) didn't have this problem or (2) did.

email -----> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ed

      19th Jun 2005
On 19 Jun 2005 07:05:07 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Although the A8V can undervolt Winchester cores down to 0.8V, it seems
>to be resistant to doing this with Venice cores. Does anyone know why?
>
>I know I'm destined to get helpful suggestion from people without an
>A8V-Venice combination, but it would be nice to hear from someone who
>either (1) didn't have this problem or (2) did.
>
>email -----> (E-Mail Removed)

My guess is because 1.1V is the lowest vcore "Cool n Quite" uses.

Ed

biohazard@gardener.com

      20th Jun 2005
>My guess is because 1.1V is the lowest vcore "Cool n Quite" uses.

I don't use C'n'Q, and even the BIOS will not let you go down below
1.1V. If you set a lower voltage, CrystalCPUID and RMclock both tell
you it's back at 1.1V

New Member

      27th Jun 2007
Athlon 64 CPUs can request specific voltages through VID pins. Asus A8V reads the VID and sets the voltage accordingly. The VID ranges for Winchester and Venice cores are 0.8-1.45v and 1.1v-1.45v correspondingly. Asus A8V also employs voltage offsets for overvolting beyond 1.45v (e.g. when you set 1.65v in BIOS, it sets VID to 1.45v and the offset to +0.2v). Theoretically, negative offsets can also be set, but there is no BIOS version that does this currently and most probably there won't be, considering that socket 939 is discontinued.