A7V133 and FX5200

Steve

      8th Nov 2005
Hi

I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The system
runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome ToTal War or
Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots or goes back to
desktop Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on this old board ? I
have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios is still the original
.....some 3 yrs old .

If you can help thanks ....

Steve

Roger Hamlett

      8th Nov 2005

news:Yn7cf.10617$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The
> system runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome
> ToTal War or Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots
> or goes back to desktop Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on
> this old board ? I have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios
> is still the original ....some 3 yrs old .
>
> If you can help thanks ....
>
> Steve

Have you got the secondary power connector attached to the card?. The
behaviour has all the symptoms of a power problem. Modern cards draw a
_lot_ (many draw more than the current processors). Many machines will
warn you if the power connector is not attached, but it yours wasn't
giving this warning, it might behave like this.

Best Wishes

Steve

      8th Nov 2005
Thanks for trying Roger...............my FX 5200 does not have a power
connector ..... could it be a power supply problem ie only when trying 3d
graphics does it crash out ?
Steve

"Roger Hamlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7Q8cf.4414$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Yn7cf.10617$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The
>> system runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome
>> ToTal War or Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots or
>> goes back to desktop Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on
>> this old board ? I have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios
>> is still the original ....some 3 yrs old .
>>
>> If you can help thanks ....
>>
>> Steve

> Have you got the secondary power connector attached to the card?. The
> behaviour has all the symptoms of a power problem. Modern cards draw a
> _lot_ (many draw more than the current processors). Many machines will
> warn you if the power connector is not attached, but it yours wasn't
> giving this warning, it might behave like this.
>
> Best Wishes

Robert Hancock

      9th Nov 2005
Steve wrote:
> Hi
>
> I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The system
> runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome ToTal War or
> Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots or goes back to
> desktop Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on this old board ? I
> have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios is still the original
> ....some 3 yrs old .

Those old VIA chipsets were rather buggy out of the box with regard to
AGP - you probably will want to put the latest BIOS on as well as
download the latest chipset drivers off the VIA site..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from (E-Mail Removed)

Steve

      9th Nov 2005
Thanks Robert....

Can i use the Asus update tool for the bios on this board ? Im not that
good at bios floppy upgrades

Steve

"Robert Hancock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The
>> system runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome
>> ToTal War or Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots or
>> goes back to desktop Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on
>> this old board ? I have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios
>> is still the original ....some 3 yrs old .

> Those old VIA chipsets were rather buggy out of the box with regard to
> AGP - you probably will want to put the latest BIOS on as well as download
> the latest chipset drivers off the VIA site..
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from (E-Mail Removed)
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

Egil Solberg

      9th Nov 2005
Steve wrote:
> Thanks Robert....
>
> Can i use the Asus update tool for the bios on this board ? Im not
> that good at bios floppy upgrades

Lots of unhappy stories about Asus update tool. The best option is to
carefully examine and carry out the floppy flash procedure. It's not hard at
all. Print it out if necessary.

Daniel Mandic

      9th Nov 2005
Steve wrote:

> Hi
>
> I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The
> system runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome
> ToTal War or Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either
> reboots or goes back to desktop Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a
> card to fit on this old board ? I have put new drivers on and
> directX 9.c and the bios is still the original ....some 3 yrs old .
>
> If you can help thanks ....
>
> Steve

Hi Steve!

Disable the Secondary IDE. Use just the Primary IDE. That means you
only have Master and Slave, one time.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: Windows98 is seemingly working with the 2ndIDE enabled ;-), but
makes other nice burns, I will not going to execute now. That Kt133 is
unfortunately a good example of "designed for Win98", only :-). No, if
you disable 2ndIDE, it should work flawlessly with XPSP2.

Daniel Mandic

      9th Nov 2005
Daniel Mandic wrote:
> you disable 2ndIDE, it should work flawlessly with XPSP2.

Not even that, there are also new AGP Driver (for the A7V133) with SP2!

"
My AMD powered Gamestation:
ECS Elitegroup K7VZA (Beast) 3.0, AMD K7 Athlon "Palomino" 1533MHz,
some RAM and a nice fast (3D T&L) Gainward (Red with passive ZaLmAN)
Geforce4 ti4200 Ultra-(IMO). Works flawlessly with SP2!!

Maybe I step up to the KT880 Chipset from the same house.

Steve

      10th Nov 2005
hi
i have installed new agp driver and it did not solve the
problem..............are you saying if i disable the secondary side of the
pc it could get the fx5200 working ?

steve

"Daniel Mandic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43727532$0$4428$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Daniel Mandic wrote:
>> you disable 2ndIDE, it should work flawlessly with XPSP2.

> Not even that, there are also new AGP Driver (for the A7V133) with SP2!
>

> "
> My AMD powered Gamestation:
> ECS Elitegroup K7VZA (Beast) 3.0, AMD K7 Athlon "Palomino" 1533MHz,
> some RAM and a nice fast (3D T&L) Gainward (Red with passive ZaLmAN)
> Geforce4 ti4200 Ultra-(IMO). Works flawlessly with SP2!!
>
> Maybe I step up to the KT880 Chipset from the same house.

Daniel Mandic

      10th Nov 2005
Steve wrote:

No, I meant the Onboard Harddiskdrive-Controller (HDD). There are two
channels. Primary and Secondary. And in the BIOS-Setup (Press DEL after
Reset - I hope you know what I mean), there is an Option to
Enable/Disable Onboard devices....
Disable the secondary ide channel. So that every Master or slave on the
secondary is greyed out. If you need special help with that, just ask!

There is a hardware bug, going with the VIA Southbridge (I/O, Sound,
USB....), an I/O bug not letting a UDAM device on the secondary ide
when uide is already on the primery. Or so...

So you can only install one HD and one CD-XXX or DVD-XXX (x is for
various kind of CD or DVD) on the onboard IDE-Controller. Remember,
itīs not a MS fault, just a plain hardware bug. And not. There are some
special bioses developed (i had one), but they lack of speed :-(

Disabling the secondary gives you a good feeling, and you can use the
fastest settings (BIOS) again ;-). Windows XP SP2. Neverwinter Nights
with 1024x768, 2xquinqunux-antialiasing, 32bit color, every gfx-feature
enebled. Unfortunatly only 2xquincunux, my other machine (P3-S 1Ghz)
can drive it with 4xemended-antialiasing, even it lacks of nearly
500MHz :-)

Just for Info.... There are better olīmachins available. But as I said,
with the disabled 2nd-IDE itīs a nice chipset with good onboard sound
but a clunky (but at least stable! - when disabled 2ndIDE) south- to
Northbridge connection.

You could also disbale the onboard IDE at all. I think with a PCI Card
for IDE you could use secondary again. Though I remember the Adaptec
2940 (actually in use) FAst Scsi-II with Ultra-SCSI Option, didīnt run
in my KT133A powered Motherboard. Funny it isnīt it? The Board did not
work at all, just some letters and nothing ;-.).

I have only the AGP Gartphics Card in my AMD environment, working good.
Needs one restart (GeForce hangs after a while), but then.... well!

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic