64 bit ActiveX vs Windows Forms

any

      16th Mar 2009
Is it possible to host a 64 bit ActiveX control in Windows Forms? If yes,
how do you add a reference to it? When trying to do so I get a
"Self-registration for Boo.dll failed." error from Visual Studio 2008.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

      16th Mar 2009
"any" <any@many> schrieb:
> Is it possible to host a 64 bit ActiveX control in Windows Forms? If yes,
> how do you add a reference to it? When trying to do so I get a
> "Self-registration for Boo.dll failed." error from Visual Studio 2008.

There is no 64-bit version of COM, and thus there are no separate 64-bit
ActiveX components. As COM is a 32-bit technology and ActiveX is based on
it, you'll have to compile the application for X86 in order to be able to
use the ActiveX control.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

pagerintas pritupimas

      16th Mar 2009
> There is no 64-bit version of COM, and thus there are no separate 64-bit
> ActiveX components. As COM is a 32-bit technology and ActiveX is based on
> it, you'll have to compile the application for X86 in order to be able to
> use the ActiveX control.

A quote from Microsoft KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457):

"The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer can host only native 64-bit ActiveX
controls and other 64-bit Web page objects."

That suggests that there is such a thing as 64-bit ActiveX control. The
questions is: does Windows Forms and Visual Studio 2008 support it?

New Member

      17th Dec 2010
The correct approach is to add a reference to the .NET assembly directly.