451 Internal error

Pat Thronson

      7th Dec 2005
Hi,

I would appreciate any help on this problem.

When trying to send a single 5 meg file through my web smtp server (Go
Daddy) I get a return error message stating; "your outgoing (smtp) e-mail
server has reported an internal error".. "The server responded: 451 Internal
error"

Note: I can send a 3 meg file with no problems and can receive a 5 meg file.

Go Daddy tech support person said "it appears the error you are receiving is
due to a program running on the server with is aimed at blocking viruses
being sent out, and the server also runs anti-phishing software. The
solution is to ensure that 1) your emails contain no viruses, 2) there is no
intention of phishing and 3) ensure that there are no hyperlinks or embedded
links to known phishing sites. "

I have AVG scan my out going e-mail and do not "fish"

Their solution is to use their web-based e-mail for sending this size of a
file and/or try a different e-mail program like Endora. This was not the
solution I was looking for.

Google was not much help

Thanks again

Pat Thronson
XP-Pro SP-2, Outlook 2003 SP-2
ZA and AVG

Brian Tillman

      7th Dec 2005
Pat Thronson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would appreciate any help on this problem.
>
> When trying to send a single 5 meg file through my web smtp server (Go
> Daddy) I get a return error message stating; "your outgoing (smtp)
> e-mail server has reported an internal error".. "The server
> responded: 451 Internal error"

That's a server-side issue and there's nothing you can do about it unless
you own the server.

> Note: I can send a 3 meg file with no problems and can receive a 5
> meg file.
> Go Daddy tech support person said "it appears the error you are
> receiving is due to a program running on the server

So they admit they have an error.

> with is aimed at
> blocking viruses being sent out, and the server also runs
> anti-phishing software. The solution is to ensure that 1) your emails
> contain no viruses, 2) there is no intention of phishing and 3)
> ensure that there are no hyperlinks or embedded links to known
> phishing sites. "

And then they tell you they won't fix it. Were this to happen to me, I'd
kiss the ISP goodbye and get one who WANTS their systems to work properly.

> Their solution is to use their web-based e-mail for sending this size
> of a file and/or try a different e-mail program like Endora. This was
> not the solution I was looking for.

This would be Eudora, I would think, but I imagine any POP/SMTP client could
potentially have problems, since it's THEIR SERVER generating the error, not
your client.
--
Brian Tillman

Pat Thronson

      8th Dec 2005
Thank you Brian Tillman for your time responding to my server problem. I am
happy to hear, it is not an outlook problem.
The last thing I wanted to do was to start fiddling with my computer
settings.

I guess my next step would be to switch web services.

How would I go about insuring I would not run into the same problem with a
different company?
It sounds silly to call a few random companies and ask if I would have a
similar sending problem.
I am sure they all would say "no problem" including the company I am
currently using.

Any suggestions on web service companies or the correct questions to ask?

Again Thanks,

Pat Thronson
off line- remove the yahoo

"Brian Tillman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ue761a2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pat Thronson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I would appreciate any help on this problem.
>>
>> When trying to send a single 5 meg file through my web smtp server (Go
>> Daddy) I get a return error message stating; "your outgoing (smtp)
>> e-mail server has reported an internal error".. "The server
>> responded: 451 Internal error"

> That's a server-side issue and there's nothing you can do about it unless
> you own the server.
>
>> Note: I can send a 3 meg file with no problems and can receive a 5
>> meg file.
>> Go Daddy tech support person said "it appears the error you are
>> receiving is due to a program running on the server

> So they admit they have an error.
>
>> with is aimed at
>> blocking viruses being sent out, and the server also runs
>> anti-phishing software. The solution is to ensure that 1) your emails
>> contain no viruses, 2) there is no intention of phishing and 3)
>> ensure that there are no hyperlinks or embedded links to known
>> phishing sites. "

> And then they tell you they won't fix it. Were this to happen to me, I'd
> kiss the ISP goodbye and get one who WANTS their systems to work properly.
>
>> Their solution is to use their web-based e-mail for sending this size
>> of a file and/or try a different e-mail program like Endora. This was
>> not the solution I was looking for.

> This would be Eudora, I would think, but I imagine any POP/SMTP client
> could potentially have problems, since it's THEIR SERVER generating the
> error, not your client.
> --
> Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

      8th Dec 2005
Pat Thronson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I guess my next step would be to switch web services.
>
> How would I go about insuring I would not run into the same problem
> with a different company?

It's rare that an ISP would have the problem and rarer still that they
would't try to address it. Do you have any DSL or other broadband service
providers in your area. I personally like SBC because of the price, but
since I don't know where you are, I can't say what's available to you.
--
Brian Tillman

Pat Thronson

      9th Dec 2005
Brian Tillman,

Thanks again for your input into my problem.
I use Starband (Satellite) for my ISP and my only other choice is Wild Blue
(Satellite) or dial up (MSN, EarthLink, etc)

Go Daddy is a web hosting company which hosts my company web page and I
use(d) their
POP3 and SMTP service through Outlook. These guys (Go Daddy) are the one
saying I have a problem with Outlook, as the largest attached file I can
send using their smtp server settings is 3 megs when they say I should be
able to send up to 25 megs. Their solution is to use their online e-mail
service for sending or switch to Eudora....., not a solution.

So I guess I will start the process on switching to a different web hosting
company. I am looking into SBC for their web hosting services.

I have followed this user group since I purchased Outlook 2003 a couple
years ago and find the best answers to Outlook problems "here"

Keep up the good work and Happy Holidays to all!

Pat Thronson
Babb, MT

news:u$fXjPD$(E-Mail Removed)...