Anasurimbor

      21st Jul 2009

I just had another PC given to me, old but works, with win 98 SE. Is it
possible to use my Win XP Home CD on this machine with the same product code
as on my main PC? Do I have to buy some kind of extra license? Will upgrades
work on both machines?

Shenan Stanley

      21st Jul 2009
Anasurimbor wrote:
> I just had another PC given to me, old but works, with win 98 SE.
> Is it possible to use my Win XP Home CD on this machine with the
> same product code as on my main PC? Do I have to buy some kind of
> extra license? Will upgrades work on both machines?

You need a license for each computer you plan to install Windows XP on. I
don't know if you can stuill buy the licenses from Microsoft - but I doubt
it. If the computer came with Windows 98SE though - it probably wouldn't
run Windows XP very well.

What are the hardware specifications? Processor type/speed, memory amount,
hard disk drive space?

When you can buy refurbished Windows XP machines (and Windows Vista
machines) for $150-$800 - depending on where/how much of everything you
get - it's not worth it to buy just the Windows XP OS anymore - IMHO.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Anasurimbor

      22nd Jul 2009
It's got sufficient resources according the XP installation requirements but
I'll likely get a cheap PC with XP already installed and use the 98 PC for
some older games I have (like System Shock) that won't run on XP. I just
want to use it to back up the programs I'm writing instead of copying them to
disks.