=?Utf-8?B?VGhhdCBHdXk=?=

      26th May 2004
I have a simple clustering setup between 2 terminal servers. They share a common IP address and each have their own IP address

The problem is they cannot see each other on the network. This make it difficult to manage logged in users as I have to hit each server in order to see them

I've been told that this cannot be fixed.

Oli Restorick [MVP]

      26th May 2004
This is covered in one of the guides from the following page (I can't recall
which one).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...g/default.mspx

From what I've read, this occurs when you use the same network for the
heartbeat as you use for client connections. So, if you configure a
separate heartbeat network, you can overcome this.

For your scenario, this should only be a problem if you're enumerating the
logged-in users from one of the terminal servers.

In addition, doesn't Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services have a session
state directory? Can you query this?

Regards

Oli

"That Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a simple clustering setup between 2 terminal servers. They share a
>common IP address and each have their own IP address.
>
> The problem is they cannot see each other on the network. This make it
> difficult to manage logged in users as I have to hit each server in order
> to see them.
>
> I've been told that this cannot be fixed.

=?Utf-8?B?VGhhdCBHdXk=?=

      27th May 2004
1. Should I have a separate host controlling the cluster? I have 2 servers and both have NLB going on each. One is set as priority 1 the other 2. Each is configured on a single NIC. In this config, everything works correctly - except for the cluster machines cannot see each other

~or

Could I enable NIC #1 as the cluster adapter and NIC #2 for the local adapter? NIC #1 on each machine would host the cluster IP. NIC #2 would host the local IP address on the server

2. In your last comment, you asked about session state directory - are you referring to the TS Manager that shows connections? Bear with me as I'm new to this technology :

What I really need is a "best practice" scenario for what I'm trying to do. We had a 3rd party set this up for us and they told me that the cluster hosts would not be able to communicate with each other. I took their word for it, but it's not something I like.

Oli Restorick [MVP]

      30th May 2004
Hi

For NLB, you don't have a dedicated machine. If you were to install an
extra NIC in each machine and use a separate subnet/switch just for the
heartbeat packets, then I believe the machines will be able to see each
other.

For session state, I did indeed mean the TS session directory. I have no
idea how you query it, though.

There is a KB article that deals with this, but I'm having difficulty
finding it.