2000 upgrade hangs on upgrade report

John

      25th Dec 2003
Upgrading from 98SE to 2000Pro. Upgrade hangs at about
80% through the "Preparing Upgrade Report" and won't go
any further. I've left it for hours and it does nothing.

Task Manager doesn't report it as Non Responding.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Patrick

      25th Dec 2003
Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

"John" wrote:
| Upgrading from 98SE to 2000Pro. Upgrade hangs at about
| 80% through the "Preparing Upgrade Report" and won't go
| any further. I've left it for hours and it does nothing.
|
| Task Manager doesn't report it as Non Responding.
|
| Thanks for any help.

Henry

      26th Dec 2003
I also encounter problem when upgrading the W2K (in fact
re install W2K using the same version but wish to retain
all existing data and setting). The setup hung at COM +
something.

To do a clean install, would all existing data and setting
be erased.

or other partitions
>found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the

install, then again
>restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid

unexpected drive
>letter assignments with your new install.
>
>During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to

confirm the previous
>operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll

simply insert the
>qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the

install will
>proceed.
>
>Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for

the latest bios and
>or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.
>

>--
>Regards,

newsgroup.
>Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect.
>
>"John" wrote:
>| Upgrading from 98SE to 2000Pro. Upgrade hangs at about
>| 80% through the "Preparing Upgrade Report" and won't go
>| any further. I've left it for hours and it does nothing.
>|
>| Task Manager doesn't report it as Non Responding.
>|
>| Thanks for any help.
>

>.

Dave Patrick

      26th Dec 2003