2 Antivirus Programs

allan

      21st Oct 2004
I have been having some trouble with Norton Antivirus but have been able to
do some things in the hidden settings of live update and other things to get
it to work right, I think. I am using Norton Antivirus 2005 on wxp home SP2.
I am wondering if there would be any troubles with running 2 antivirus
programs just in case my Norton keeps screwing up? I would also like to use
AVG free version but am waiting till I find out if it is good to run more
than one.
Thank You
Allan

Phil

      21st Oct 2004
IMO, Just run one and keep it updated. Two may work, but more likely they
will conflict with each other and you'll gain no extra protection. I like
avg as nortons has to many probs.

"allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I have been having some trouble with Norton Antivirus but have been
> able to do some things in the hidden settings of live update and
> other things to get it to work right, I think. I am using Norton
> Antivirus 2005 on wxp home SP2. I am wondering if there would be any
> troubles with running 2 antivirus programs just in case my Norton
> keeps screwing up? I would also like to use AVG free version but am
> waiting till I find out if it is good to run more than one.
> Thank You
> Allan

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgSC4gTGlwbWFu?=

      21st Oct 2004
Allan:

Only 1 AV application should be active and running on a PC at a time.
Having two actively running AV applications is contraindicated due to the
heavy overhead and intereference between each other.

Dave

"allan" wrote:

> I have been having some trouble with Norton Antivirus but have been able to
> do some things in the hidden settings of live update and other things to get
> it to work right, I think. I am using Norton Antivirus 2005 on wxp home SP2.
> I am wondering if there would be any troubles with running 2 antivirus
> programs just in case my Norton keeps screwing up? I would also like to use
> AVG free version but am waiting till I find out if it is good to run more
> than one.
> Thank You
> Allan

R. McCarty

      21st Oct 2004
Best to stick with one "Real-Time" scan product. However, to cross
check it's effectiveness, run several of the on-line scans available from
the major vendors. Personally, I use Panda On-Line scan as it seems
to catch things that others won't/can't.
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

"Phil" <itchy&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> IMO, Just run one and keep it updated. Two may work, but more likely they
> will conflict with each other and you'll gain no extra protection. I like
> avg as nortons has to many probs.
>
> "allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> I have been having some trouble with Norton Antivirus but have been
>> able to do some things in the hidden settings of live update and
>> other things to get it to work right, I think. I am using Norton
>> Antivirus 2005 on wxp home SP2. I am wondering if there would be any
>> troubles with running 2 antivirus programs just in case my Norton
>> keeps screwing up? I would also like to use AVG free version but am
>> waiting till I find out if it is good to run more than one.
>> Thank You
>> Allan

Neerav

      22nd Oct 2004
i used to run norton antivirus (norton 02 and avg 6) together in my system.
with both updated noront would catch and quaratine viruses that avg6
wouldn't!

nothing happend to my system's performance .

Neerav

"allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have been having some trouble with Norton Antivirus but have been able to
| do some things in the hidden settings of live update and other things to
get
| it to work right, I think. I am using Norton Antivirus 2005 on wxp home
SP2.
| I am wondering if there would be any troubles with running 2 antivirus
| programs just in case my Norton keeps screwing up? I would also like to
use
| AVG free version but am waiting till I find out if it is good to run more
| than one.
| Thank You
| Allan

Alex Nichol

      22nd Oct 2004
allan wrote:

>I have been having some trouble with Norton Antivirus but have been able to
>do some things in the hidden settings of live update and other things to get
>it to work right, I think. I am using Norton Antivirus 2005 on wxp home SP2.
>I am wondering if there would be any troubles with running 2 antivirus
>programs just in case my Norton keeps screwing up? I would also like to use
>AVG free version but am waiting till I find out if it is good to run more
>than one.

The important thing is not to have two AV programs both running in
real-time protection at the same time. I have AVG 6 installed, but as
secondary to run as a second opinion if needed. I suggest removing
Norton, and trying the one year free trial of EzArmor from
www.my-etrust.com/microsoft

Bournemouth, U.K. (E-Mail Removed) (remove the D8 bit)