16 Bit Subsystem Error

David H. Lipman

      17th Feb 2005
The TrendMicro Sysclean utility cleans viruses, worms and Trojans. The Microsoft product is
for non-viral malware and at best may get some Trojans but it is not an anti virus scanner
like Trend Sysclean.

--
Dave

| Hi, David,
| I think I'm clean. Ran multiple SpyScans and my checks and came up clean.
| Microsoft has a terrific Spyscanner in Beta format that really does a number
| on things. My 16-bit programs just can't write the file they need to write
| to function. There's nothing wrong with my directory that I know of.
| There's a file in there that's been created just today. Why these 16-bit
| programs can't write into it is a real mystery to me. I may have to buy a
| new printer, it's really bad not having one when you need it. My old one
| works really well, maybe someone on Ebay will get a good deal. Thanks.
|
| Paul

Jim Byrd

      17th Feb 2005
Hi Paul - Two things to try:

First, try enabling compatibility mode: Enable Compatibility Mode
regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

Then to disable it if that didn't help: Disable Compatibility Mode
regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

Second, try this fix courtesy of Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin, you can download and
try this: http://www.ndi.ro/VDDFix.exe I haven't used this personally,
but it has been recommended to me. Reboot after installing the patch

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Yes, both ways...tried using the CD that came with the printer and
> redownloaded the updated printer software from HP off of their
> website. In both cases, up pops the dialog box. Also tried to
> install an old copy of Monopoly on CD, up came the box. It's a real
> stubborn thing. All of my 16-bit programs are not functioning.
> Thanks.
>
> Paul
>
> "Jim Byrd" wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul - OK, then. Going back to your original post - I've assumed
>> that you get this error message in conjunction with trying to use
>> your older printer. Is that correct? If so and I didn't just miss
>> it, have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer
>> (assuming you have the install media available, of course)?
>>
>> --
>> Please respond in the same thread.
>> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>>

>> In news(E-Mail Removed),
>> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>> Yes, that's verified. Unhid the folders, unchecked the boxes and
>>> had a look, no WINNT and no freescan in the C drive area. Ran MS
>>> Beta Anti-Spyware...system was clean. Updated Adaware, ran that
>>> and all it did was "bake some cookies" (Adaware classifies cookies
>>> as Spyware, go figure). I think my system is clean as can be. Use
>>> to have issues with PeopleOnPage continuing to come back after
>>> running Adaware constantly, but Microsoft's Spyware did away with
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Deleted everything I could (it would let me) from the C:\documents
>>> and settings\Owner\LocalSettings\Temp folder in the hopes that would
>>> help...didn't change anything. This is a real bad issue. Another
>>> person posted about the identical issue last October and got no
>>>
>>> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

      17th Feb 2005
Hi, Jim,
I enter those lines at the command prompt? No easier way to enable
compatability in XP?

Also, I hit your dynamic link of Andrei's download and it came up blank.
Entered his website to find it, he's moved his downloads to another site
where you have to sign in as a client to access them. Just an FYI.

Thanks for all the help,
Paul

"Jim Byrd" wrote:

> Hi Paul - Two things to try:
>
> First, try enabling compatibility mode: Enable Compatibility Mode
> regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
>
> Then to disable it if that didn't help: Disable Compatibility Mode
> regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
>

> Second, try this fix courtesy of Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin, you can download and
> try this: http://www.ndi.ro/VDDFix.exe I haven't used this personally,
> but it has been recommended to me. Reboot after installing the patch
>

> --
> Please respond in the same thread.
> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> > Yes, both ways...tried using the CD that came with the printer and
> > redownloaded the updated printer software from HP off of their
> > website. In both cases, up pops the dialog box. Also tried to
> > install an old copy of Monopoly on CD, up came the box. It's a real
> > stubborn thing. All of my 16-bit programs are not functioning.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > "Jim Byrd" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Paul - OK, then. Going back to your original post - I've assumed
> >> that you get this error message in conjunction with trying to use
> >> your older printer. Is that correct? If so and I didn't just miss
> >> it, have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer
> >> (assuming you have the install media available, of course)?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Please respond in the same thread.
> >> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
> >>

> >> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> >> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

Jim Byrd

      17th Feb 2005
I just tried it and it downloaded fine. Try the direct dwnld again or email
me a good email addy and I'll send it to you - it's only 29,696 Bytes,
27,991 zipped.

jrbyrd @ adelphia . net

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi, Jim,
> I enter those lines at the command prompt? No easier way to enable
> compatability in XP?
>
> Also, I hit your dynamic link of Andrei's download and it came up
> blank. Entered his website to find it, he's moved his downloads to
> another site where you have to sign in as a client to access them.
> Just an FYI.
>
> Thanks for all the help,
> Paul
>
> "Jim Byrd" wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul - Two things to try:
>>
>> First, try enabling compatibility mode: Enable Compatibility Mode
>> regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
>>
>> Then to disable it if that didn't help: Disable Compatibility Mode
>> regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
>>

>> Second, try this fix courtesy of Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin, you can
>> download and try this: http://www.ndi.ro/VDDFix.exe I haven't
>> used this personally, but it has been recommended to me. Reboot
>> after installing the patch
>>

>> --
>> Please respond in the same thread.
>> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>>

>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>> Yes, both ways...tried using the CD that came with the printer and
>>> redownloaded the updated printer software from HP off of their
>>> website. In both cases, up pops the dialog box. Also tried to
>>> install an old copy of Monopoly on CD, up came the box. It's a real
>>> stubborn thing. All of my 16-bit programs are not functioning.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?Um9kIFAu?=

      28th Oct 2005
Hi Paul
I noticed your post re the 16 bit errors you have ben having problems with -
I have a simple fix you can try :
go to control panel - click system - click advanced - click environment
variables - go to system variables scroll down to temp - click edit - change
%System root%\Temp
to c:\ .Click ok and try your programs. Hope it works.

Rod P.

"Paul" wrote:

> Hi,
> Been reviewing other posts that have 16 bit subsystem problems and have yet
> to find a post with my message. Here it is in a the box that pops up
> entitled "Windows 16 bit Subsystem"
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization
> could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the
> directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.
>
> Can't run or install any older programs, which is doubly painful since I
> have an older printer that won't run now. Appreciate any help/suggestions.
> --
> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?Um9kIFAu?=

      28th Oct 2005
while I appreciate that it may be a very wrong answer I dont understand why .
On my computer I had the exact same error message as Paul and this change was
the only thing that worked. I made this change after checking all of the
other bulletins regarding the nvtdm subsystem and restoring files, checking
for malware etc etc. Please explain. Thanks so much.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Very WRONG answer

> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
>

> --
> Peter

> "Rod P." <Rod (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Paul
> > I noticed your post re the 16 bit errors you have ben having problems with -
> > I have a simple fix you can try :
> > go to control panel - click system - click advanced - click environment
> > variables - go to system variables scroll down to temp - click edit - change
> > %System root%\Temp
> > to c:\ .Click ok and try your programs. Hope it works.
> >
> > Rod P.
> >
> > "Paul" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Been reviewing other posts that have 16 bit subsystem problems and have yet
> >> to find a post with my message. Here it is in a the box that pops up
> >> entitled "Windows 16 bit Subsystem"
> >>
> >> C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization
> >> could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the
> >> directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to
> >> terminate the application.
> >>
> >> Can't run or install any older programs, which is doubly painful since I
> >> have an older printer that won't run now. Appreciate any help/suggestions.
> >> --
> >> Paul

Steve Pearce

      18th Nov 2005
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:09:38 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Very WRONG answer
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767
>
>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

Very WRONG date...

Peter Foldes

      28th Nov 2005
Very WRONG answer

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

--
Peter

"Rod P." <Rod (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Paul
> I noticed your post re the 16 bit errors you have ben having problems with -
> I have a simple fix you can try :
> go to control panel - click system - click advanced - click environment
> variables - go to system variables scroll down to temp - click edit - change
> %System root%\Temp
> to c:\ .Click ok and try your programs. Hope it works.
>
> Rod P.
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Been reviewing other posts that have 16 bit subsystem problems and have yet
>> to find a post with my message. Here it is in a the box that pops up
>> entitled "Windows 16 bit Subsystem"
>>
>> C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization
>> could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the
>> directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to
>> terminate the application.
>>
>> Can't run or install any older programs, which is doubly painful since I
>> have an older printer that won't run now. Appreciate any help/suggestions.
>> --
>> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?amF5d2h5?=

      28th Jan 2006
did you get a solution for this problem, my machine is doing exactly the
same, have tried many suggested solutions but getting nowhere with it.