16-bit application permission error

lselva76@gmail.com

      9th May 2006
hi,
i got the error when execute the .com ro 16-bit exe files

c:\windows\system32\..........\----.com is a 16-bit application. you do
not have permissions to execute 16-bit applications.check your
permissions with your system administrator.

any one give the solutions,
thanks in advance,
L.Selva Kumaran

Steve Parry

      9th May 2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi,
> i got the error when execute the .com ro 16-bit exe files
>
> c:\windows\system32\..........\----.com is a 16-bit application. you do
> not have permissions to execute 16-bit applications.check your
> permissions with your system administrator.
>

> any one give the solutions,
> thanks in advance,

start
run
gpedit.msc
click OK
<Group Policy Editor opens>

navigate to

Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Windows Components
Application Compatibility
Prevent access to 16 bit applications.

This needs to be disabled or set to Not Configured to be able to access 16
bit apps

Also make sure you have the following files on your PC

c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
c:\windows\system32\config.nt

If you don't have them, then copy those files from a working computer,
they're not machine specific in most cases, although a some programs add
their own lines to them.

If you don't have one or both of those files you can have problems accessing
16-bit subsystems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305521/

--
Steve Parry BA(Hons) MCP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Steve Parry

      9th May 2006
Steve Parry wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> hi,
>> i got the error when execute the .com ro 16-bit exe files
>>
>> c:\windows\system32\..........\----.com is a 16-bit application. you do
>> not have permissions to execute 16-bit applications.check your
>> permissions with your system administrator.
>>

>> any one give the solutions,
>> thanks in advance,

> start
> run
> gpedit.msc
> click OK
> <Group Policy Editor opens>
>
> navigate to
>
> Computer Configuration
> Administrative Templates
> Windows Components
> Application Compatibility
> Prevent access to 16 bit applications.
>
> This needs to be disabled or set to Not Configured to be able to access 16
> bit apps
>
> Also make sure you have the following files on your PC
>
> c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
> c:\windows\system32\config.nt
>
> If you don't have them, then copy those files from a working computer,
> they're not machine specific in most cases, although a some programs add
> their own lines to them.
>
> If you don't have one or both of those files you can have problems
> accessing 16-bit subsystems.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305521/

edit
c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt