108 or 110 error with Magic Partition vezrsion 8

Sydney2

      13th Aug 2012
Hi everybody !

Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ?
Fdisk sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition
and renew it.

Paul

      13th Aug 2012
Sydney2 wrote:
> Hi everybody !
>
> Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ?
> Fdisk sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition
> and renew it.

The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

The text of the error message, an example, is here.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-...W500/m-p/55038

"#110 Partition table number of sectors is inconsistent."

This implies to me, that you have partitions that overlap. If you
were to do a "format" from Disk Management right now, there is
a danger you could overwrite a portion of a second partition.

To check the details, use the PTEDIT32 utility provided with
the Partition Magic installation. Look in the menu for it.

If you cannot find that utility, then download a copy from here.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...s/PTEDIT32.zip

Take a screenshot of the dialog box, and post a URL to a
photo posting site, so we can look at it. This is an example
of the kind of information that PTEDIT32 can show for a disk.
Make sure you select the correct disk drive from the menu,
before taking the screenshot.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dell-tbl.gif

Check the "Sectors Before" and "Sectors" columns on the
right, and see if the partitions are overlapping.

Do not format any partitions, until you resolve the issue.

*******

Old versions of Partition Magic, only know about CHS alignment. The
number of sectors, tends to be divisible by 63, when you review the
numbers shown.

Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 (and even modern Linux), uses megabyte
alignment instead of CHS. If you use Partition Magic on disks prepared
in a newer OS, Partition Magic should show a warning dialog that it
does not like the alignment.

Using GParted (a Linux utility available on a LiveCD) could well be
more tolerant of these differences, but even GParted has been known
to trash data. There is always a *risk* with partitioning utilities.
If they make a mistake, you lose data.

Paul

VanguardLH

      13th Aug 2012
"Paul" wrote:

> Sydney2 wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ? Fdisk
>> sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition and
>> renew it.

> The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
very out of date.

Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
(thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?

Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

Paul

      14th Aug 2012
VanguardLH wrote:
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Sydney2 wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ? Fdisk
>>> sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition and
>>> renew it.

>> The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

> That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
> with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
> some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
> in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
> announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
> very out of date.
>
> Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
> software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
> (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
> new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
> problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
> transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
> any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
> to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
> acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
> die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?
>
> Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
> Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

I don't think the error code should be ignored though.

There's something wrong with the partition map.

Paul

Darklight

      14th Aug 2012
Paul wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

>> That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
>> with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
>> some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
>> in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
>> announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
>> very out of date.
>>
>> Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
>> software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
>> (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
>> new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
>> problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
>> transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
>> any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
>> to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
>> acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
>> die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?
>>
>> Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
>> Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

> I don't think the error code should be ignored though.
>
> There's something wrong with the partition map.
>
> Paul

easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
start again.

Sydney2

      14th Aug 2012
Le 14/08/2012 10:34, Darklight a écrit :
> Paul wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
>>> with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
>>> some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
>>> in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
>>> announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
>>> very out of date.
>>>
>>> Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
>>> software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
>>> (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
>>> new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
>>> problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
>>> transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
>>> any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
>>> to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
>>> acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
>>> die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?
>>>
>>> Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
>>> Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

>> I don't think the error code should be ignored though.
>>
>> There's something wrong with the partition map.
>>
>> Paul

> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
> start again.

The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?

Paul

      14th Aug 2012
Sydney2 wrote:
> Le 14/08/2012 10:34, Darklight a écrit :
>> Paul wrote:

>>> I don't think the error code should be ignored though.
>>>
>>> There's something wrong with the partition map.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
>> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
>> start again.
>>

> The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?

If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
comes up with.

I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
(the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start again.
Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
a clean partition map.

Paul

Darklight

      14th Aug 2012
Paul wrote:

> Sydney2 wrote:

>>> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
>>> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
>>> start again.
>>>

>> The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?
>>

> If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
> you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
> changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
> comes up with.
>
> I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
> know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
> (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
> complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
> and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start again.
> Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
> is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
> a clean partition map.
>
> Paul

From my point of view erase all partions and format the whole hard drive
then partition. If you are using pm 7 or 8 do a secure delete/erase.

question is the hard drive new?

Sydney2

      18th Aug 2012
Le 14/08/2012 14:23, Paul a écrit :
> Sydney2 wrote:

>>> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
>>> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
>>> start again.
>>>

>> The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?
>>

> If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
> you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
> changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
> comes up with.
>
> I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
> know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
> (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
> complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
> and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start again.
> Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
> is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
> a clean partition map.
>
> Paul

Thanks for your advices. Unfortunately the disk is no longer recognized
by the Bios (on 2 machines ) Partition magic 8 says 710 error. is it
dead or ptedit could cure ?

VanguardLH

      18th Aug 2012
"Sydney2" wrote:

> Unfortunately the disk is no longer recognized by the Bios (on 2
> machines ) Partition magic 8 says 710 error. is it dead or ptedit
> could cure ?

ptedit is a partition table editor. If you delete all partition (in
preparation for later creating them to format them) then there are no
entries in the partition table to edit.

Since this was a non-critical disk (with no data you want to preserve),
have you wiped the disk yet (delete all partitions) and then try to
create one?

For wiping, you could use Easeus Partition Manager but that requires
installing it. I believe you can get an ISO image of Killdisk (free
version) that you can use from floppy or CD to boot from there and wipe
the hard disk. Just be sure you pick the correct disk to wipe.

However, if the BIOS cannot detect the hard disk than bootable media
(with Killdisk) will also not find it.

You never mentioned WHERE is this hard disk. Is it an internal hard
disk (connected to mobo headers) and, if so, is it an IDE or SATA
device? Or is it an external hard disk (connected via USB or eSATA)?