With 1 global static ip address, is it still possible to host a website???

Joe M

      14th Nov 2003
Hi, if I my ISP gave me only 1 global static ip address 203.145.145.145
255.255.255.252 . And I assign this IP address to the router interface into
ISP (I've got a router with builtin 4 port switch with DHCP function). How
is it possible for me to run a web server and terminal server with only 1 Ip
address assign to the router interface??? How can this be achieve?? Thanks.

Ryan

      14th Nov 2003
Your router should have a forwarding facility which will allow requests to
ports on the router to be forwarded to an address on the internal LAN.

Ryan

"Joe M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, if I my ISP gave me only 1 global static ip address 203.145.145.145
> 255.255.255.252 . And I assign this IP address to the router interface

into
> ISP (I've got a router with builtin 4 port switch with DHCP function).

How
> is it possible for me to run a web server and terminal server with only 1

Ip
> address assign to the router interface??? How can this be achieve??

Thanks.

Dr Zoidberg

      14th Nov 2003
Joe M wrote:
> Hi, if I my ISP gave me only 1 global static ip address
> 203.145.145.145 255.255.255.252 . And I assign this IP address to the
> router interface into ISP (I've got a router with builtin 4 port
> switch with DHCP function). How is it possible for me to run a web
> server and terminal server with only 1 Ip address assign to the
> router interface??? How can this be achieve?? Thanks.

You need a router that supports NAT.
This will allow all incoming Web traffic to the public IP address to be
translated and sent to your web server , and the same for your terminal
services server.

Check teh router instructions for how to configure this.

--
Alex

Sig missing , presumed formatted

Dodo

      25th Nov 2003
You must configure the router to forward port 80-tcp from 203.145.145.145 to
the private IP address of the web server. You can run any number of services
with one IP because each service uses a different port. Catch is, you can
only run one of each service.

Common services and port numbers:
smtp 25-tcp
http 80-tcp
dns 53-udp
pop3 110-tcp
more at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

I'm not able to detect a web server listening on port 80 at 203.145.145.145.