0x800106ba error and other problems

SkatingFan

      29th Dec 2007
I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert says
that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it says
there are no new definitions.

The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."

I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting Http:
400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this message.
I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

Dave M

      29th Dec 2007
SkatingFan;

First try this resolution:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=931849

--

Regards, Dave

SkatingFan wrote:
> I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert
> says
> that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it
> says
> there are no new definitions.
>
> The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
>
> I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting
> Http:
> 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this
> message.
> I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

Mr Cat

      29th Dec 2007
Hi SkatingFan:

To make this Cat happy, check your "date" and time on your computer. You
might want to look at Dial-a-fix to resolve some of your other non-Defender
issues:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...al-a-fix.shtml
Good luck and Happy New Year.

"SkatingFan" wrote:

> I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert says
> that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it says
> there are no new definitions.
>
> The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
>
> I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting Http:
> 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this message.
> I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

SkatingFan

      30th Dec 2007
I have windows Vista and can't do the uninstall for Defender.

"Dave M" wrote:

> SkatingFan;
>
> First try this resolution:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=931849
>
> --
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> SkatingFan wrote:
> > I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert
> > says
> > that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it
> > says
> > there are no new definitions.
> >
> > The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> > caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> > computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
> >
> > I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting
> > Http:
> > 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this
> > message.
> > I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

SkatingFan

      30th Dec 2007
Date and time are correct.

"Mr Cat" wrote:

> Hi SkatingFan:
>
> To make this Cat happy, check your "date" and time on your computer. You
> might want to look at Dial-a-fix to resolve some of your other non-Defender
> issues:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...al-a-fix.shtml
> Good luck and Happy New Year.
>
> "SkatingFan" wrote:
>
> > I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert says
> > that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it says
> > there are no new definitions.
> >
> > The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> > caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> > computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
> >
> > I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting Http:
> > 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this message.
> > I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

Engel

      30th Dec 2007
Hi Mr Cat,

FYI

Dial-a-fix is no ready for Vista
- -- ---

ANGER
The worst tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were
wrong. —Wilson Mizner

"Mr Cat" wrote:

> Hi SkatingFan:
>
> To make this Cat happy, check your "date" and time on your computer. You
> might want to look at Dial-a-fix to resolve some of your other non-Defender
> issues:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...al-a-fix.shtml
> Good luck and Happy New Year.
>
> "SkatingFan" wrote:
>
> > I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert says
> > that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it says
> > there are no new definitions.
> >
> > The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> > caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> > computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
> >
> > I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting Http:
> > 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this message.
> > I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

Engel

      30th Dec 2007
I use the belt-and-suspenders mode. Make a Restore Point.

As always, you should make sure that you have got a working system restore
point before you run any test, download or install a new game, application,
or software update, when you make changes to your computer.

Whatever you do, (installing and updateting or unistalling) always as a
administrator.

You might try this.

Go to the main Windows Update window and click on "Installed Updates" (on
the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom), and then remove "Update for
Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (ºnly).

Reboot. Reboot agªin.

the Check for Updates button.

Reboot

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---

ANGER
An angry man is again angry with himself, when he returns to
reason.—Publilius Syrus

"SkatingFan" wrote:

> Date and time are correct.
>
> "Mr Cat" wrote:
>
> > Hi SkatingFan:
> >
> > To make this Cat happy, check your "date" and time on your computer. You
> > might want to look at Dial-a-fix to resolve some of your other non-Defender
> > issues:
> > http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...al-a-fix.shtml
> > Good luck and Happy New Year.
> >
> > "SkatingFan" wrote:
> >
> > > I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert says
> > > that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it says
> > > there are no new definitions.
> > >
> > > The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> > > caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> > > computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
> > >
> > > I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting Http:
> > > 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this message.
> > > I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

Mr Cat

      30th Dec 2007
You are correct Engel. I should have realized it was Vista based on the
description of the messages. I didn't take my cat nap today. Happy New
Year.

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi Mr Cat,
>
> FYI
>
> Dial-a-fix is no ready for Vista
> - -- ---
>

> ANGER
> The worst tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were
> wrong. —Wilson Mizner
>

> "Mr Cat" wrote:
>
> > Hi SkatingFan:
> >
> > To make this Cat happy, check your "date" and time on your computer. You
> > might want to look at Dial-a-fix to resolve some of your other non-Defender
> > issues:
> > http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...al-a-fix.shtml
> > Good luck and Happy New Year.
> >
> > "SkatingFan" wrote:
> >
> > > I get this error when I try to open defender. Also the security alert says
> > > that my Defender is out of date, but when I hit the update now button it says
> > > there are no new definitions.
> > >
> > > The message says "Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem
> > > caused the programs service to stop. To start the service, resart the
> > > computer or search Help and support for how to start a service manually."
> > >
> > > I have been having all kinds of problems on the web. I keep getting Http:
> > > 400 errors. I got one when I just tried to log in here to post this message.
> > > I have no idea if this is causing it, but has a problem. Please advise.

Engel

      30th Dec 2007
Hi Mr Cat

Happy New Year 2008 to you too. ;-)