067 Bootfile name is................

Arne And

      21st Dec 2004
Hi

I have setup a RIS server with everything and made a Image from RipRep.exe
and placed it on the server.

What should the string value bee on the 067 Bootfile Name in DHCP??

Should it bee the folder name in Setup - Language - Images - WindowsSP2 ? or
the fully UNC path?

Regards

-AA-

Dusko Savatovic

      21st Dec 2004
> What should the string value bee on the 067 Bootfile Name in DHCP??

I never configured that option, yet my RIS works well for me.
AFAIK the bootfile name on RIS is usualy startrom.com.

The only (extra) parameter I use in DHCP is
060 PXEClient

Dusko Savatovic

NIC Student

      21st Dec 2004
Like Dusko, I also never set that dhcp option, and our RIS works well across
routers and domains.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Dusko Savatovic"
>> What should the string value bee on the 067 Bootfile Name in DHCP??

> I never configured that option, yet my RIS works well for me.
> AFAIK the bootfile name on RIS is usualy startrom.com.
>
> The only (extra) parameter I use in DHCP is
> 060 PXEClient
>
> Dusko Savatovic

NIC Student

      21st Dec 2004
Like Dusko, I also never set that dhcp option, and our RIS works well across
routers and domains.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Dusko Savatovic"
>> What should the string value bee on the 067 Bootfile Name in DHCP??

> I never configured that option, yet my RIS works well for me.
> AFAIK the bootfile name on RIS is usualy startrom.com.
>
> The only (extra) parameter I use in DHCP is
> 060 PXEClient
>
> Dusko Savatovic

=?Utf-8?B?Sk9ORVNZIEJPWQ==?=

      1st Mar 2005
Hi all,

I was wondering why I get the message "No Boot File name received"??? I
setup the RIS server as specified according to Microsoft. It is authorzied
in DHCP, but is not the DHCP server (meaning it is not supplying IP
addresses). However; the DHCP Server service is running. Any help will be
most gladly appreciated.

Thanks....

"Arne And" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have setup a RIS server with everything and made a Image from RipRep.exe
> and placed it on the server.
>
> What should the string value bee on the 067 Bootfile Name in DHCP??
>
> Should it bee the folder name in Setup - Language - Images - WindowsSP2 ? or
> the fully UNC path?
>
> Regards
>
> -AA-

NIC Student

      2nd Mar 2005
Do the clients get an ip address?
Can you RIS from any computers?
Can you reauthorize the RIS server with the DHCP snap-in? You should see
that an event log was posted that the server is ready and authorized.
Have you marked the box ""respond to client computers"?
Have you cleared the box "Do not respond to unknown clients"?
Did you change security on the RIS images?
Are you RIS'ing across a router? (RIS server on same subnet as the clients)?
If so, is spanning tree enabled?
Have you changed any settings on DHCP scopes (option 60, 66 or 67)? I never
change these.
Do a Start>Run>RISETUP -CHECK>OK.
Are you RISing with a boot floppy or F12? What nic cards?

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"JONESY BOY"
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering why I get the message "No Boot File name received"??? I
> setup the RIS server as specified according to Microsoft. It is
> authorzied
> in DHCP, but is not the DHCP server (meaning it is not supplying IP
> addresses). However; the DHCP Server service is running. Any help will
> be
> most gladly appreciated.
>
> Thanks....

=?Utf-8?B?Sk9ORVNZIEJPWQ==?=

      2nd Mar 2005
Scott, here are the answers to your questions.
The clients do not get an ip address b/c the server doesn't have a scope. I
do not want it to issue addresses, but is authorized from the DC in the DHCP
snapping.
I can't RIS from any computer either.
I did reauthorize the RIS server and an entry log was created.
The "Respond to client computers" box is marked, and the "Do not respond to
unkown client computers" is cleared.
I didn't change any security on the images. What should the security be set?
I am on the same subnet as all the clients, and am not going across a router.
Why should spanning tree be enabled if I was going across a router? (curious)
I have not changed any settings on the DHCP scope b/c a scope wasn't created
for this box. It is being used only for RIS. Our DCs alone give out ip
addresses.
I will perform the RIS CHECK today, and get back to you.
I would like to be able to RIS with both Boot Floppy, and I am RIS-ing with
Intel Pro 10/100/1000 NICs that have PXE functionality.

What do you think is wrong here? Does my RIS server "have " to give out IP
addresses. And if so, would it keep those addresses only for clients
requesting services for an install, or distribute addresses as a normal DHCP
Server does on the network for any computer?

Get back to me buddy. Thank you.

"NIC Student" wrote:

> Do the clients get an ip address?
> Can you RIS from any computers?
> Can you reauthorize the RIS server with the DHCP snap-in? You should see
> that an event log was posted that the server is ready and authorized.
> Have you marked the box ""respond to client computers"?
> Have you cleared the box "Do not respond to unknown clients"?
> Did you change security on the RIS images?
> Are you RIS'ing across a router? (RIS server on same subnet as the clients)?
> If so, is spanning tree enabled?
> Have you changed any settings on DHCP scopes (option 60, 66 or 67)? I never
> change these.
> Do a Start>Run>RISETUP -CHECK>OK.
> Are you RISing with a boot floppy or F12? What nic cards?
>
> --
> Scott Baldridge
> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
>

> "JONESY BOY"
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering why I get the message "No Boot File name received"??? I
> > setup the RIS server as specified according to Microsoft. It is
> > authorzied
> > in DHCP, but is not the DHCP server (meaning it is not supplying IP
> > addresses). However; the DHCP Server service is running. Any help will
> > be
> > most gladly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks....

NIC Student

      2nd Mar 2005
Hi Jonesy,

1. We also seperate our dhcp and ris servers so you don't need to change
that unless you want to. It is important to watch closely and see if the
client first gets an ip address. They get the address from a dhcp server
first, then look for RIS. Can you verify that the client gets an address -
perhaps delete the test machine leases from the DHCP scope and try again.
Verify they get an address and it it is valid. I've seen this problem occur
when the client gives and address already in use somewhere.

2. The default security is fine on the REMINST share. I always edit the
*.sif for my images and put in my product key to make it automated. For
that reason, I change the permissions on the sif so only authorized people
can read it.

3. Is your subnet 10 or 100 mbs?

4. Can you make a boot floppy and try it? This may point out that you have
old PXE roms in your nics that need to be ubdated from Intel.

5. Is your RIS server multihomed? If so make sure you go unauthorize the
RIS server, then authorize with the ipaddress rather than the computer name.

OK, let me know.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"JONESY BOY"
> [...]
>> Are you RIS'ing across a router? (RIS server on same subnet as the
>> clients)?
>> If so, is spanning tree enabled?
>> Have you changed any settings on DHCP scopes (option 60, 66 or 67)? I
>> never
>> change these.
>> Do a Start>Run>RISETUP -CHECK>OK.
>> Are you RISing with a boot floppy or F12? What nic cards?
>>
>> --
>> Scott Baldridge
>> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
>>

>> "JONESY BOY"
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I was wondering why I get the message "No Boot File name received"???
>> > setup the RIS server as specified according to Microsoft. It is
>> > authorzied
>> > in DHCP, but is not the DHCP server (meaning it is not supplying IP
>> > addresses). However; the DHCP Server service is running. Any help

=?Utf-8?B?Sk9ORVNZIEJPWQ==?=

      2nd Mar 2005
Hi NIC,

I watched the process during the PXE/NETWORK BOOT and the client does not
get an ip address at all. It searches, then times out. Then tells me "No
Boot Filename Received". The DHCP scope you're speaking of, is this a
separate scope on the DHCP server created for RIS clients? If so, then how
do I tell RIS to look at the DHCP server first?

2. The security looks normal. I don't have a *.sif file. How do I create
one of those? Does RIS create that automatically, or is there a utility I
need.

3. I am at 10/100 mbps on my subnet.

4. I tried a boot floppy as an alternative, and I got the same results. It
did nothing.

5. "Multihomed"? No it's not. It belongs to one network, and has one
network address.

Other than this, I'm still fighting the good fight. Do you think the
problem can be on the DHCP server itself?

"NIC Student" wrote:

> [...]
> > Server does on the network for any computer?
> >
> > Get back to me buddy. Thank you.
> >
> > "NIC Student" wrote:
> >
> >> Do the clients get an ip address?
> >> Can you RIS from any computers?
> >> Can you reauthorize the RIS server with the DHCP snap-in? You should see
> >> that an event log was posted that the server is ready and authorized.
> >> Have you marked the box ""respond to client computers"?
> >> Have you cleared the box "Do not respond to unknown clients"?
> >> Did you change security on the RIS images?
> >> Are you RIS'ing across a router? (RIS server on same subnet as the
> >> clients)?
> >> If so, is spanning tree enabled?
> >> Have you changed any settings on DHCP scopes (option 60, 66 or 67)? I
> >> never
> >> change these.
> >> Do a Start>Run>RISETUP -CHECK>OK.
> >> Are you RISing with a boot floppy or F12? What nic cards?

NIC Student

      3rd Mar 2005
Yo Jonesy,

re: Do you think the problem can be on the DHCP server itself?
=======
Yup. If your client can't get a lease from dhcp then your client is dead in
the water before it even starts looking for a ris server. Troubleshoot why
the dhcp server isn't giving an address to your client. It is not a special
scope, just the normal one for the client's subnet, nothing fancy. Look at
the leases on the dhcp server to make sure it isn't getting a lease. You
should be able to delete the lease, start RIS, then see the lease come back.

re: Sif
=======
Ris creates one for you when you create an image.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"JONESY BOY"